Kelly black card proves crucial as Two Mile House fall to agonising defeat against Kilcummin in All-Ireland semi-final

Facebook Twitter Google+
Kelly black card proves crucial as Two Mile House fall to agonising defeat against Kilcummin in All-Ireland semi-final
By Robert Cribbin 15:40 Sunday 20th of January 2019

Kilcummin (Kerry) 0-11

Two Mile House (Kildare) 0-10

Two Mile House suffered a devastating one point defeat at the hands of Kilcummin in the All Ireland Intermediate Football semi-final at the Gaelic Grounds.

Kilcummin only scored three second half points but it proved enough as Phillip Casey landed a 61st minute free from more than forty yards out to hand his side victory.

It’s a game Two Mile House will look back on with plenty of regret after Peter Kelly went off on a black card in the early stages of the game and his loss was badly felt especially since he started the game in flying form in scoring two points and his leadership would have been badly missed.

Kilcummin themselves only finished with 14 men after Kevin Gorman saw red in the second half but alas and thanks in no parts to the deadly accurate Casey they found a way to see it out and book a Croke Park final against Naomh Eanna of Antrim.

Two Mile House immediately got into their groove and were in front within two minutes as Chris Healy found the target from a difficult angle.

Peter Kelly then stormed into proceedings with two excellent efforts from play off either foot as Two Mile House made a dream start to the game.

Disaster struck moments later however as team captain and talisman Kelly got involved with a Kilcummin player off the ball and he received a black card as a result.

Kilcummin took full advantage from that misgiving with Gary O’Leary latching onto a well worked free from the Kelly incident as the Kerry side opened their account.

Kilcummin then got a bolt of confidence and with Two Mile House still coping with the black card to Kelly, points from Matt Keane and Noel Duggan levelled up matters.

Kilcummin duly took the lead for the first time with a lovely Duggan effort in the 15th minute and they seemed to be gaining control.

Aidan Casey steadied things for the Kildare side with a free but Kilcummin responded in style again with two pointed efforts from play by Keane and O’Leary giving them a 0-6 to 0-4 lead.

The sides then exchanged scores as Duggan and Keane found the target for Kilcummin either side of Caomhan Doolin and Matt Kelly both excellently scoring from distance.

That was the end of the scoring for a relieved Two Mile House as Kilcummin corner back Sean O’Leary found himself within the scoring parallel in stoppage time but instead of taking the simple point he tried to work a goal but he hit a wayward shot wide of the goal and they had to be content with a 0-8 to 0-6 lead at the break.

Two Mile House no doubt had a few choice words in their ear from manager Niall Browne at the interval and they did exactly what they did in the first and they made a huge early impact.

Mark Sherry was deployed at full forward in the first half but he dropped deeper on the resumption and it reaped dividends almost immediately as he set up Chris Healy for a well taken score.

Sherry was then fouled moments later for Aidan Casey to convert his second free of the game and deadlock the teams at 0-8 apiece.

Didier Cordonnier is a converted keeper for Two Mile House and on numerous occasions he soloed out the field to set up attacks and it certainly worked a treat ten minutes into the half as he forced a foul from Kevin Gorman and with the midfielder already booked he was duly given a red card.

Two Mile House struggled to make the man advantage really count though as the game became very scrappy with basic errors among players coming to the fore.

Kilcummin did eventually get their first point of the half with a well taken shot from range by Kieran Murphy but the team in Green and Red were unable to fend off Two Mile House who were defending brilliantly.

Another Casey free got the House level again but Kilcummin’s Phillip Casey replied in kind and the Munster Champions had the narrowest of leads entering stoppage time.

A free off the ball gave Casey his fourth score from a placed ball but Two Mile House were soon in arrears again as Phillip Casey landed a brilliant free from out the field to edge Kilcummin into the lead once more.

Two Mile House threw everything at Kilcummin in the dying seconds and even though there was five minutes stoppage time it still wasnt enough as they suffered a heartbreaking one point defeat.

Two Mile House: Didier Cordonnier; Andrew May, Matt Kelly 0-1, William Burke, Finnian Breen, Nathan Sherry, Andrew Cregg, Peter Kelly 0-2, Caomhan Doolin 0-1, Tony O’Connor, Chris Healy 0-2, Jack Collins, Conor Keogh, Mark Sherry, Aidan Casey 0-4 (0-4fs).

Subs used: Shane Darcy for P.Kelly (Black Card) 10 mins, Gavin Burke  for Collins 47 mins, Stuart White for Cregg 50 mins.

Kilcummin: Brendan Kealy; Sean O’Leary, Donal Maher, Daniel Moynihan, Padraig Nagle, Phillip Casey 0-2 (0-2fs), William Maher, Kieran Murphy 0-1, Kevin Gorman, Shane McSweeney, Gary O’Leary 0-2, Chris O’Leary, Noel Duggan 0-3 (0-2fs), Ian Devane, Matt Keane 0-3.

Subs used: Kelvin Teahan for Padraig Nagle 44 mins, Daniel O’Leary for Maher 47 mins, John McCarthy for Devane 52 mins, Kevin McCarthy for Duggan 58 mins.

Ref: Barry Judge (Sligo)

If you have a story or want to send photos or videos to us please contact the KildareNow editorial team. via our Facebook, via our email at [email protected] or on 045 409350 during office hours.

Related articles