Moore silverware for Moorefield as they see off Athy comeback to claim Aldridge Cup

Facebook Twitter Google+
Moore silverware for Moorefield as they see off Athy comeback to claim Aldridge Cup
By Robert Cribbin 21:09 Saturday 9th of March 2019

Moorefield 1-11

Athy 0-12

Aldridge Cup Final

It was billed as a repeat of both the League and Championship Finals in 2018 but when it was all said and done it was again Moorefield who came out on top as they took victory over Athy in the Aldridge Cup Final.

It was something of a game of two halves with Moorefield dominating the first period as they led by seven points while Athy battled back bravely after the break but ultimately they came up short.

Eanna O’Connor was again on fine form for Moorefield as he kicked eight points but it was Eamonn Callaghan’s opening half goal that eventually separated the teams.

Moorefield led 1-8 to 0-4 at the break with O’Connor in particular causing Athy many problems and that big advantage eventually proved too much for them to handle..

Athy were brilliant for most of the second period but the introduction of Adam Tyrrell changed things for the victors and his late point helped them over the line.

Moorefield haven’t even stepped foot on the training field yet as they gear up for their boxing fundraiser next weekend, so this is bound to be a stark warning to all their challengers.

Athy started well with Danny O’Keefe splitting the posts from distance in the 1st minute before Moorefield replied in kind with a brilliant free from Eanna O’Connor.

Paschal Connell then put the South Kildare outfit back in front with a nice score but Moorefield looked the bigger threat up front.

Ross Glavin’s team were fully intent on directing ball in towards Jason Phillips and the big full forward was proving a real handful for Brian Kinahan and a couple of scores broke off him including a fine left footed effort by Adam Meehan and a free from O’Connor which Phillips was fouled for.

The teams were duly deadlocked at the halfway mark of the half with Liam McGovern kicking over after receiving a crossfield pass from James Eaton to level up the game at 0-3 each.

Athy struggled for the rest of the half with their kickouts going rather astray and Moorefield took full advantage with O’Connor landing three consecutive frees that were all out of the top drawer including one effort right on the sideline.

Moorefield then made that three point lead a six point advantage with a brilliant goal in the 22nd minute when Eanna O’Connor kicked a pass into Jason Phillips and the full forward quickly transferred to Eamonn Callaghan who powered a left footed shot into the top corner past Stephen Davis.

Callaghan followed up that goal with a well taken point from a difficult angle to leave Moorefield with a 1-7 to 0-3 lead.

Athy finally stemmed the flow with a free from James Eaton but Moorefield soon maintained parity with another O’Connor score.

Adam Meehan then powered a shot wide of the goal after interchanging passes with Ian Dunne in stoppage time as Moorefield took a seven point lead into the break.

Rather strangely both teams changed their goalkeepers at half-time with James Roycroft and Tom Kinsella both coming in and it was Kinsella who was by far the busier as Athy dominated long periods of the second half.

Moorefield didn’t score until the 54th minute and Athy had seven points without reply on the board by that stage.

Athy who are now managed by Mayo man Vinny Dalton got an early brace of scores through James Eaton but they looked like they got away with one when Danny O’Keefe seemed to come in to contact with the face of Sean Healy.

Moorefield really struggled to get out of their own half for large periods of the Athy dominance and the beaten County finalists were soon within touching distance of the Moores with points from O’Keefe, McGovern and Eaton leaving just a point between them.

Cathal McCarron appeared as a sub for Athy and he kicked the levelling point in the 50th minute as they looked set to kick on for victory.

Moorefield had other ideas though and the introduction of Adam Tyrrell for the final ten minutes seemed to edge the momentum back their way as he kicked a monstrous point from range on the back of a score from Eanna O’Connor.

Athy corner back Donal McGrath left the score at 1-10 to 0-12 with a lovely effort off balance but just when they thought they could force extra time, Eanna O’Connor landed another free to give Moorefield the first bit of silverware for the year.


Moorefield: Ian McDonnell; Dylan Cosgrave, Liam Healy, Sean Dempsey, Kevin Murnaghan, Sean Healy, Ian Dunne, Cian O’Connor, Daire Dunne, Mark Murray, Adam Sweeney, Adam Meehan 0-1, Eanna O’Connor 0-8 (0-7fs), Jason Phillips, Eamonn Callaghan 1-1.

Subs used: Tom Kinsella for McDonnell h-t, Anthony Durney for Dempsey 34 mins, Ronan Sweeney for D.Dunne 40 mins, Niall Hurley Lynch for Phillips 44 mins, Eoin O’Connor for Callaghan 48 mins, Adam Tyrrell 0-1 for Meehan 55 mins.

Athy: Stephen Davis; Sean Bride, Brian Kinahan, Killian Mulhall, Sean Ronan, John Moran, Ross Bell, Michael Foley, Paschal Connell 0-1, Liam McGovern 0-3 (0-1f), Tony Gibbons, James Eaton 0-4 (0-2fs), Darroch Mulhall, Danny O’Keefe 0-2, Eoghan McGlinchey.

Subs used: James Roycroft for Davis h-t, Cathal McCarron 0-1 for Bride h-t, Cian Reynolds for Mulhall 38 mins, Tomas Foley for Gibbons 54 mins, Fintan Lawler for Kinahan 59 mins, Donal McGrath 0-1 for Bride 59 mins.

Ref: Liam Herbert

If you have a story or want to send photos or videos to us please contact the KildareNow editorial team. via our Facebook, via our email at [email protected] or on 045 409350 during office hours.

Related articles