ABOVE: The late David Boland
A Naas Judge this afternoon struck out a murder charge against a 20-year-old Athy man on the basis of delays by the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) in gathering a Book of Evidence.
Calvin Cullen (20), of Greenhills, Athy, today appeared before the court, charged with the murder of David Boland on the streets of Athy, during the early hours of November 1, 2018.
Cullen was represented by solicitor, Kieran O'Brien and received free legal aid.
Judge Desmond Zaidan ordered that the murder charge be struck out based on the delays by the DPP in preparing a Book of Evidence.
The matter has been before Naas District Court several times since the accused was charged in November, 2018.
Last month, Sgt Brian Jacob said that there were over 200 statements being examined and asked that the DPP get further time to prepare a Book of Evidence. At the time, Judge Zaidan said that he did not want four weeks to become 20 weeks.
Today, Sgt Jacob asked if the court could give the DPP a further three weeks peremptory against the state.
Judge Zaidan refused the request and ordered that the murder charge is struck out.
If you have a story or want to send photos or videos to us please contact the KildareNow editorial team. via our Facebook, via our email at [email protected] or on 045 409350 during office hours.