Planning permission has been refused by Kildare County Council for a major development in Monasterevin that would deliver a mixture of housing, retail and education services to the town.
The proposed site for the project, which included 99 homes, was 'The Hulk', a former chartered school that was originally built around the year 1759.
The Hulk is an imposing building on the Portlaoise Road in Monasterevin.
The developer sought to renovate and extend the building and the adjacent structures, making way for a number of different facilities.
The designs included:
- Craft retail / café space on ground floor, kitchen and toilet facilities to ground floor;
- Craft exhibition space, community meeting room, office and toilet facilities on first floor;
- Historic exhibition space, offices and classroom on second floor;
- Renovations of dwellings into craft studio spaces
- A proposed allotment area and proposed public market
- 99 new homes consisting of 11 two-bed dwellings, 69 three-bed houses and 19 four-bed units.
- a two-storey creche with parking facilities and a play area.
If you have a story or want to send photos or videos to us please contact the KildareNow editorial team. via our Facebook, via our email at [email protected] or on 045 409350 during office hours.