The father of missing Naas man Trevor Deely has spoken about the anguish his family went through during the unsuccessful dig operation at a site in Dublin for the body of their son.
Michael Deely and his wife Ann, along with their three other children, have been appealing for information in the search for their son ever since the then 22-year-old went missing in Dublin on December 8 2000. Tomorrow will mark the 17th anniversary of his disappearance.
There were hopes earlier this year when an apparent breakthrough had been made in the case following the release of CCTV footage that showed Trevor being followed on the night he went missing. A man then contacted Gardaí to say that he knew Mr Deely had been killed by a known criminal and that his body was buried in a wooded area in Chapelizod. Gardaí carried out a dig on the site for a number of weeks but there was no trace of Trevor to be found.
Speaking ahead of the anniversary of his disappearance, Trevor's father Michael said that he really hoped this year would provide some answers to their anguish.
"For years and years we had got nowhere and there were no new leads in the case, and then all of a sudden there was a very dramatic development," he said.
"In terms of the investigation into Trevor, it's been the most active year we have had.
"But unfortunately nothing has come of it. Of course I'd been hoping that this anniversary and this Christmas period might be different and that we'd get a breakthrough, but that hasn't happened."
If you have a story or want to send photos or videos to us please contact the KildareNow editorial team. via our Facebook, via our email at [email protected] or on 045 409350 during office hours.