Fresh hope for second bridge in Celbridge to help alleviate traffic problems

Facebook Twitter Google+
Fresh hope for second bridge in Celbridge to help alleviate traffic problems
13:29 Saturday 13th of May 2017

More funding has been requested for the development of a second bridge in Celbridge to deal with the ongoing traffic congestion problems in the town. Kildare North TD James Lawless has been in contact with the Minister for Housing, Planning, Community and Local Government Simon Coveney to secure finances from the Local Infrastructure Housing Activation Fund (LIHAF). The fund is currently closed but the Minister will consider reopening the fund following lobbying by TD James Lawless.

Deputy Lawless said; “The Local Infrastructure Housing Activation Fund main purpose is to alleviate infrastructural blockages with view to delivering houses to an area. Currently at peak times Celbridge Main Street comes to a standstill as commuters try navigate over the one bridge in the town, often taking a half hour or more to get to the Dublin Road from the Clane Road.

“This is particularly important in the case of the context of the Celbridge Local Area Plan, currently under discussion, and on which I have attended a number of public meetings with concerned residents. It is apparent that the quantum of new housing being proposed for Celbridge would require a serious infrastructure upgrade, as already the town struggles," he said.

Kildare County Council had requested funding from the department last year, but it was not approved. These latest revelations mean that there is fresh hope for a new development.

“I have called on the Minister to use the local infrastructure housing activation fund in conjunction with Kildare County Council to progress the second bridge in Celbridge. I understand the council did submit for funding in the Celbridge area however this was not approved by the Department at the last round of applications.

“Following my representations the Minister will consider reopening the fund to allow for additional applications. I will continue working with the Department and the council to support any application for a second bridge when the fund reopens” concluded Deputy Lawless.

"I have also included funding for the second Celbridge river crossing in a recent submission I made to Minister Pascal Donohue on the Capital Expenditure Program 2017-2022," added deputy Lawless..

If you have a story or want to send photos or videos to us please contact the KildareNow editorial team. via our Facebook, via our email at [email protected] or on 045 409350 during office hours.

Related articles