Up close and personal
The Garda Mounted Unit paid a visit to a Newbridge primary school on Thursday.
The policing horses and their riders were the star attraction at St Conleth's and St Mary's Primary School.
The community engagement was part of a Garda 'Day of Action' - a high-visibility policing operation in the Newbridge area.
The main focus was on intelligence gathering, warrant executions, searches, arrests, crime detection and crime prevention.
The operation was carried out by local Gardaí and supported by national Units.
The Garda Mounted Unit was established in 1998 and is based in the Phoenix Park.
The Unit provides support to Garda Districts in many counties on a regular basis.
Functions of the Mounted Support Unit include:
- Crime prevention and detection patrols – supporting mainstream policing
- Searches for missing persons over rough terrain that is inaccessible to vehicles
- Community policing including school and community project visits
- Major event policing e.g. matches, concerts and festivals
- Public order and crowd control