The tumble dryer which burst into flames
A lot of electrical items are being used in the home more regularly these days due to the Covid-19 restrictions and firefighters have warned to never leave them unattended.
Wicklow Fire Service was called to an incident in which a clothes tumble dryer burst into flames.
Some tumble dryer models have a 30 minute setting which can generate intense heat if the appliance is located in a small utility room.
Firefighters said: "It is extra important at this time, check your smoke alarm and don’t trust electrical appliances such as tumble dryers, crimpers, hairdryers, and chargers of all kinds.
"Carnew Fire Crew were just in time to stop this fire from spreading."
Wicklow Fire Service officers reiterated that electrical items should not be turned on unattended.
A spokesperson said: "We only trust fridges.
"All other electrical items should not operate unattended.
"Never overload, always clean lint filter.
"Always have a working smoke alarm."
Last year firefighters were called to a tumble drier fire at 2am in the morning.
It's believed the appliance was turned on and left unattended.
The incident happened in the Ashford area off the M11 in Co Wicklow.
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.