Kildare man stabbed at Luas stop is jailed for kicking his attacker in head

Facebook Twitter Google+
Kildare man stabbed at Luas stop is jailed for kicking his attacker in head
12:18 Friday 18th of May 2018

A man who “changed from victim to aggressor” in a violent incident at a Luas stop has been sentenced to two-and-a-half years in prison, with the final 18 months suspended.

Dary Sharif (24) was initially targeted by two other men in a knife attack in which he sustained 14 stab wounds.

These two men were restrained by security staff - but then Sharif along with two other co-accused kicked one of the men, Daryl Smith, several times on the ground.

Smith sustained serious injuries and had to undergo life saving brain surgery.

Sharif, of The Deanery, Celbridge, pleaded guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to violent disorder at Milltown Luas stop on April 5, 2015. He has four previous convictions.

Judge Cormac Quinn set a headline sentence of four years but reduced it because of mitigating factors including Sharif's efforts to rehabilitate himself and his good behaviour since the offence.

He said one of the aggravating factors was that there were many members of the public at the Luas stop who witnessed the “shocking” incident, including a man holding a toddler in his arms.

The court previously heard that Smith (26) had accompanied another man, Robert Power (39), described in court as the “prime mover”, to the Luas stop in the “targeted attack” on Sharif.

Smith, of Greenhills Court, Dublin 24 pleaded guilty to violent disorder in relation to the incident and was sentenced earlier this year to five years with the final two suspended.

Power, of Cashel Avenue, Crumlin has been convicted by a jury of violent disorder and assault on a Luas security guard following a trial in relation to the incident and is awaiting sentence on May 30th.

The court heard that Sharif and two friends had been at the Luas stop when Power and Smith arrived by car and chased him back and forth across the tracks.

Power had a knife and a pepper spray, used a knife on Sharif causing serious injuries.

Two security guards arrived and tried to break up the fight. One security guard pulled Smith to the ground, while his colleague dealt with Power who was attacking Sharif.

He said the second security guard was stabbed and pepper sprayed by Power and his colleague left Smith unaccompanied on the ground to assist him.

Smith was assaulted on the ground by Sharif and his two friends, sustaining a number of kicks to the head. Smith was left with life threatening injuries and later underwent brain surgery.

Judge Quinn viewed a compilation of CCTV in relation to the incident including clips from the station CCTV, the internal and external tram cameras, and a security guard's body cam.

If you have a story or want to send photos or videos to us please contact the KildareNow editorial team. via our Facebook, via our email at [email protected] or on 045 409350 during office hours.

Related articles