Monasterevin crash: Eyewitness says gardai were not pursuing a car involved and only arrived at scene five minutes after collision
29 Sept 2015
It has emerged that gardai were up to five minutes behind a car involved in a two-vehicle crash injuring six people in Monasterevin on Sunday. The collision was referred to the Garda Siochana Ombudsman Commission (GSOC) after it had been wrongly thought that the gardai were in pursuit of a red-coloured Peugeot 406 saloon which impacted on a sharp bend with a silver Ford Galaxy. However an eye-witness who was one of the first people at the scene said it was 'four or five minutes' before the gardai arrived at the scene and tended to the injured. The local man, who didn't want to be identified, told KildareNow: "When I heard the bang I ran up to the scene and I and others immediately helped to take the kids out of the car straight away. "It would have been four or five minutes before the gardai arrived on the scene and began helping out." He added: "It's not true to say that they were in pursuit." GSOC has now handed back the investigation of the incident to local gardai after officials found that the officers had no case to answer. Sources said the red Peugeot saloon had come to the attention of the gardai during the period before the collision and they placed it under observation but didn't actively pursue it. The six injured people, including a seven-year-old girl and her toddler brother (2), remain in hospital.
This website and its associated sites are full participating members of the Press Council of Ireland and supports the Office of the Press Ombudsman. This scheme in addition to defending the freedom of the press, offers readers a quick, fair and free method of dealing with complaints that they may have in relation to articles that appear on our pages. To contact the Office of the Press Ombudsman go to www.pressombudsman.ie or www.presscouncil.ie