Search

24/09/2021

When did you last clean the chimney? Experts warn of winter fire risks in home.

chimney-sweep new
The Kildare Fire Service has warned householders about winter fire hazards in the home.   The experts warned people not to pile damp clothes onto heaters or place them too near to open fires. The fire officers also cautioned that chimneys should be cleaned regularly to prevent a fire risk. A spokesman said: "Ensure that air can circulate around your heaters. "Don't dry clothes near stoves or open fires.
"Be especially careful with parafin heaters, and gas heaters - make sure you follow manufacturer's instructions to use them safely. "If you're using an electric blanket, make sure it's safe to switch it on - check for damage, scorching, fraying and if in doubt, throw it out. "Keep your chimney swept, your boiler serviced, and your vents free and clear."

More News

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.