Naas District Court hears man today say "I did not do this, I am innocent. I have never hit anyone in my life" in connection to assault charge

Facebook Twitter Google+
Naas District Court hears man today say "I did not do this, I am innocent. I have never hit anyone in my life" in connection to assault charge
22:40 Wednesday 16th of May 2018

A Co Wicklow man who pleaded not guilty to the assault of a taxi driver in Naas appeared at the District Court today.

The 33-year-old man, appeared before Naas District Court today, charged with making off without payment and Section 2 assault, at Newbridge Road, Naas, on June 17, 2016.

In court, the taxi-driver outlined that three men wearing suits were 'insulting' and that he was assaulted.

The court heard how the men had been returning from a Christening.

At Naas District Court today, the accused, said that he got into the taxi with his two brother-in-laws.

The accused denied that he assaulted the taxi-driver, he told the court how one of his brother-in-laws is 'mentally challenged' and had been aggressive with himself and his other brother-in-law, who he said is just a young lad.

He told the court how his brother-in-law who was aggressive hit the taxi driver a slap on the jaw when he was refused a trip back to Newbridge.

The accused said: "I did not do this, I am innocent. I have never hit anyone in my life."

The court heard how a taxi bill of approximately €11 had not been paid.

According to the accused, his brother-in-law told the court how he admitted the offence but he has not been able to get in contact with him.

Evidence was heard how after the taxi driver was assaulted, the three men ran off and were stopped by Gardaí and arrested.

Judge Desmond Zaidan said: "To come in and tell this court a pack of lies, a good Samaritan. I think it is cowardly. I am satisfied beyond reasonable doubt that this man is guilty."

Evidence was heard that the accused had one previous conviction, a speeding fine, in 2009.

Judge Desmond Zaidan first ordered that the acccused was remanded in custody for seven days.

However, following a request from Defence Solicitor, Conal Boyce, he ordered that the accused is to remanded on bail until tomorrow's sitting at Naas District Court, and as a gesture of remorse is to offer €2,000 to the accused.

Judge Zaidan said: "This is appalling stuff."

If you have a story or want to send photos or videos to us please contact the KildareNow editorial team. via our Facebook, via our email at [email protected] or on 045 409350 during office hours.

Related articles

Odeon Cinemas are hiring in Kildare

Odeon Cinemas are hiring in Kildare

Odeon Cinema in Kildare are currently recruiting new Guest Experience Supervisors. The Role: I take real pride in cinema operation and I am passionat...

8 hours ago
Delays for Co Kildare road this week

Delays for Co Kildare road this week

This week there will be delays on Co Kildare roads. Athy Municipal District will be carrying out surface dressing works from this Tuesday, July 17, un...

12 hours ago