Search

01 Jul 2022

UPDATE: Remains found at building site said to be over 70 years old

UPDATE: Remains found at building site said to be over 70 years old

UPDATE: Remains found at building site said to be over 70 years old

Gardaí have said the skeletal remains found under the floorboards of a former pub in Cork city are more than 70 years old and will be treated as an archaeological find.

Building work on the site at Barrack Street was halted on Thursday morning following the discovery and gardaí were alerted.

"Cork City Coroner was assisted by the Assistant State Pathologist Dr Margaret Bolster and all parties are satisfied that the bones are in excess of 70 years old," said a garda statement.

"The remains will be dealt with as an archaeological find," it added, saying that it was no longer a matter for the gardaí.

The bones were found under the floorboards inside the former Nancy Spain's pub, which had been closed for over a decade, and is currently being demolished to make way for a major social housing scheme.

To continue reading this article for FREE,
please kindly register and/or log in.


Registration is absolutely 100% FREE and will help us personalise your experience on our sites. You can also sign up to our carefully curated newsletter(s) to keep up to date with your latest local news!

Register / Login

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.