Residents express concern as temporary pedestrian lights in Kill to be removed in April following completion of M7 works

Facebook Twitter Google+
Residents express concern as temporary pedestrian lights in Kill to be removed in April following completion of M7 works
16:00 Wednesday 23rd of January 2019

By Kim O'Leary

Local councillors and residents in Kill have expressed their concern that the temporary pedestrian traffic lights provided to the village will be removed at the end of April when the works to widen the M7 are completed.

The temporary lights were installed near the Dew Drop Inn on December 20 after a campaign was organised by local residents and politicians following an accident in which a school girl received minor injuries in a collision in October 2018.

According to Kildare County Council the temporary pedestrian lights will be removed when works are completed on the M7 in April, and they said that the lights are ‘expensive to put in and maintain.’

Speaking to KildareNow this week, Labour Cllr Anne Breen said that she tabled a motion at last week’s meeting asking Kildare County Council to clarify what will happen after the M7 widening works are completed.

Cllr Breen said: “The Council have said that when the road works are completed the temporary lights will be removed and they will do a traffic/pedestrian count before any lights are permanently installed. I have told the Council that permanent lights are absolutely necessary and must be installed regardless of any traffic county as we are talking about people’s safety.”

Meanwhile, Fine Gael Councillor Fintan Brett explained that the Council had a lease for the pedestrian traffic lights for 4 months until the M7 widening works are completed.

Cllr Brett explained: “We are saying that the pedestrian lights need to be kept until at least the Summer regardless of the M7 works and according to the Council the lights were leased from December until April. There’s plans in the pipeline for a cycle scheme between Naas and Kill which is to be funded by the NTA so it’s dependent on them but it’s likely to take a couple of years and it is prudent that the lights remain in place.”

He added: “The minimum we want is that the lights stay in place until the Summer holidays for the kids in the area and the optimum is that the lights are made permanent.”

Meanwhile, parent and campaigner Diana Maynard said that if the Council goes back on its word the Kill Crossing Group will resume campaigning for permanent pedestrian lights for Kill.

She explained: “There are over 4,000 people living in Kill and the traffic build up is still bad not only from the M7 widening works and the area is more populated now. If Kildare County Council go back on their word we will go back to campaigning to get the pedestrian crossing and lights, and since the lights were installed in December the Council has had to send someone out twice because the lights were out of action.”

Ms Maynard said: “Something has to be done before an accident happens again with 500 school children in the area, and we will do whatever it takes to get permanent pedestrian lights for Kill.”

If you have a story or want to send photos or videos to us please contact the KildareNow editorial team. via our Facebook, via our email at [email protected] or on 045 409350 during office hours.

Related articles