Carney and Gately star as 13-man Confey overcome Eadestown

Facebook Twitter Google+
Carney and Gately star as 13-man Confey overcome Eadestown
15:40 Saturday 19th of August 2017

Confey               1-18

Eadestown        2-7

Joe Mallon SFC round two losers section

Confey finished the game with 13 players but had eight points to spare as a powerful second half display eventually saw them shake off Eadestown in Clane on Saturday afternoon.

Niall Carney and James Gately accounted for 1-10 of their final tally, but the former was sent off in the second half while Gary Savage also joined him on the line late on.

The first half turned into a thoroughly absorbing game of football that was fraught with tactical ploys to gain an upperhand. Confey were pushing up on the Eadestown kickout with huge intensity, forcing Mark Murphy to hit the middle where the north Kildare side were winning the lion's share of the breaks, while their tackling in the opposition third was as committed and intense as one would expect from Davy Burke's men.

Eadestown deployed Emmet Bolton in somewhat of a free role, allowing the Kildare veteran to play in the half-forward line when they had possession and filter back to defend when they were hunting the ball, while Rowan Osborne and Stevie Smith offered good targets for long balls in their full-forward line.

Niall Carney was the undoubted star of the first half as he clocked up 1-5, but it was Eoin Fitzpatrick who opened the scoring for Confey after being found with an accurate line ball from Gary Savage, and a minute later Carney opened his own account with a tidy score. Eadestown eventually settled into the tie, and it was a thumping shot from Bolton from 40 metres out that got them up and running after seven minutes, before Smith curled over an equaliser moments later.

Carney then bagged the first goal of the afternoon when he finished low to the net after picking up the rebound of a James Gately shot that had been brilliantly saved by Murphy, and the lively corner-forward followed that up with a pointed free. Smith responded at the other end with his second score, but points from Gately and Carney put Confey five clear as they threatened to pull away.

Eadestown hung in however, and some brilliant approach play from Osborne finished with him flicking the ball inside to Johnny Deane who expertly slotted the ball in off the ground to beat Colon Heeney in the Confey goal. That brought them to within two points a couple of minutes before the break, and though Bolton added to their tally with a sublime individual score, two points before the end of the half from Carney sent Confey in with a 1-7 to 1-4 advantage.

Eadestown were well in the game at the break, but Confey's firepower from the bench would eventually tell as they surged towards victory in the second half with plenty to spare.

Last year's beaten county semi-finalists outscored their opponents by 0-11 to 0-3 until Cian Bolton added a consolation goal in the dying seconds, and it was very much a formality for them throughout the second period.

Gately and Barry Lawlor traded points in the opening stages of the new half, but Confey scored six on the spin as Gately struck a couple either end of a period that saw Paddy Griffin, Conor Jennings, Donal McLean and Carney all raise whites flags.

Carney then saw red as he was booked twice in the space of five minutes by referee Fergus Devereux, but it would make little difference to the outcome.

The closing stages were relatively quiet aside from Gary Savage also being sent to the line for picking up a second yellow card, while Cian Bolton put a bit of respectability on the scoreline with a goal as he thundered the ball into the top corner from a close range free.

It's round three for Confey and a relegation battle for Eadestown as they bid to stay in the senior championship.

Scorers for Confey: N Carney 1-6(4f), J Gately 0-4, P Griffin 0-2, G Savage, R McMahon, E Fitzpatrick, C Jennings(1f), D McLean and C Daly 0-1 each.

Scorers for Eadestown: C Bolton 1-2(1f), J Deane 1-0, S Smith(1f) and E Bolton 0-2 each, B Lawlor 0-1.


C Heeney; E Fallon(D Slattery 40muns), C Jennings(P Concannon 45mins), G O'Sullivan(P Divilly 19mins); D McLean, J O'Neill, C Jennings; H Lynch, G Savage; P Griffin, N Carney, J Kilbane(A Grehan 35mins); F Barry(R McMahon 49mins), J Gately, E Fitzpatrick(C Daly 44mins).


M Murphy; P Hyland, E Conroy(S O'Sullivan 53mins), A Fitzsimons; E Woods, E Bolton, E Cummins; P Doherty, B Lawlors; R Smith(N Cummins 47mins), P O'Sullivan, J Deane; C Bolton, S Smith, R Osborne.

If you have a story or want to send photos or videos to us please contact the KildareNow editorial team. via our Facebook, via our email at [email protected] or on 045 409350 during office hours.

Related articles